by our reporter
The Criminal Investigations Directorate-CID is worried of another likely upsurge of defilement cases during this 42-day partial lockdown imposed by government to stop the spread of Covid-19 in the country.
On Sunday President Museveni announced several measures including closure of schools, suspension of religious gatherings and transport between districts, for at least 42 days.
According to the annual crime report of 2020, complied by Crime Investigations Directorate, a total of 14,134 cases of defilement were registered by police, compared to 13,613 cases that were reported in 2019, an increase of 3.8%.
It was established that out of these, children between the ages of 15-17 Years were leading with 9,954, followed by 2,986 between 9-14 Years. The records indicated that 301 children were defiled by suspects who were HIV positive.
AIGP Grace Akullo the Criminal Investigations Directorate boss said that most of victims were defiled during last year’s lockdown by perpetrators who were considering some to be ready for marriage after developing breasts.
Charles Twine the CID spokesperson says, that as law enforcement bodies apart from the challenge of enforcing the Covid-19 guidelines in place, another disturbing factor is going to be high reported cases of defilement, likely to shoot-up once again in this lockdown.